Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How Best Can I Light This Without Any Lights?

• 31-01-2011 2:17am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,015 ✭✭✭✭

145809.JPG

So, here we are on the top floor of our apartment complex. In the evenings just before sunset it gets a lot of light and is really well lit up. I would like to take a photo of her good self while sitting in the window. The problem that's happening is the camera can't strike a balance between the bright outside and inside so as a result she isn't correctly exposed at all.

Now I imagine (and you can help me along here) that in a properly setup shoot there'd be flashes and probably lights and so on. My problem is that I don't have any accessories like that and probably won't do for quite some time.

Is there anyway I can gently light her up to take a well exposed photo of her good self in the window without blowing out the blinds too much? Would multiple reflectors help at all? I know I should use a good lighting setup but that's off the cards for the moment.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭dazftw

Use a roll of tin foil/white paper and card board. Maybe some desk lamps as well pointed at the tin foil/paper.
    Would multiple reflectors help at all?

yep

Network with your people: https://www.builtinireland.ie/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭oshead

A big white bed sheet should do the trick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

Yep, a large reflector would help throw light back from the other side of the room. Or if it's a particularly sunny day, get a large sheet of scrim (any diffusion material - even a bedsheet if it's REALLY sunny) will soften the light down if you didn't want to shoot right beside the window.

Edit; Whoops, didn't see Oshead's comment on the bedsheet. D'oh!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,164 ✭✭✭nilhg

Another option would be to take a couple of different exposures and blend them,

http://vimeo.com/6397772

With a tripod and a patient model it might give a nice natural look.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭eas

do you have a lamp?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,564 Mod ✭✭✭✭iamstop

could try using spot metering on herself and then move the camera a bit to the left to get the positioning you have there. Less of the outside will probably be visible though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭Pete67

A large reflector just out of shot on the models left should do the trick nicely. You can improvise with anything white, I've taken a door off it's hinges in the past to use as a reflector and position it where I wanted it (8 screws, only takes a couple of minutes)

Or shoot raw, make two different conversions at 1 or two stops apart and then merge in photoshop. But try the reflector first!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

+1 for reflector. Even a D.I.Y jobby. Large sheet of cardboard wrapped in tin-foil will do as good as a silver side reflector. It doesn't have to be neat, crumbled is better.

I bought a 5-in-1 set for €8 on ebay, best money i ever spent. Has silver/gold/white/black and a shoot through diffuser all in one easy fold up set.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,015 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

eas wrote: »
    do you have a lamp?

I'm afraid not hence the thread title! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭eas

you literally live in a house without any lights?

• Advertisement

eas wrote: »
    you literally live in a house without any lights?

I actually live in a cave....... that's not really my apartment....... :(

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭newbridgemom

besides the reflector, turn her to face the window. you stand at the window to get her beautiful face in the gorgeous light coming into the window like this. no flash or reflectors, just window light.Dan+and+Fidelma+LR-52.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭newbridgemom

sorry that posted so huge! it was a direct link of a picture on my blog :0

Ah the thing is I want to take the photo with her lying in the window sill.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,581 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Ah the thing is I want to take the photo with her lying in the window sill.

saucey

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,547 ✭✭✭City-Exile

A sheet of polystyrene foam would work well.
    There's plenty of it lying around abandoned building sites. ;)

Advertisement